1. News & Issues

Billy Booth

NASA Press Conference

By December 1, 2010

I'm sure by now most of you have heard that NASA is holding a press conference on Thursday to make an announcement. According to NASA, they will "discuss an astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life."

The Internet is abuzz with all types of "guesses" as to what exactly will be revealed. These include: Extraterrestrial life has been discovered on another planet, a microbe that thrives in arsenic has been discovered, life on Saturn's moon Rhea has been verified, among others.

The press conference will be broadcast and webcast live on NASA TV, at 2:00 PM, EDT, from Washington D.C. For those of you who are hoping for a major announcement of the finding of "little green men," don't hold your breath.

Comments

December 1, 2010 at 3:08 pm
(1) Chris Rutkowski says:

The Sun broke the embargo. It’s about the discovery of a kind of bacteria that thrive in an environment “alien” to ours.

December 1, 2010 at 3:41 pm
(2) Kevin says:

I hope that’s not it. That story is old… back in June…

December 6, 2010 at 2:48 pm
(3) Beaudellaire Gavot. says:

These NASA people really give me a pain. It may be as Billy surmises;
“ an astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life.”
Or it may well be about some kind of bacteria that’s from an environment “alien” to ours.
They have hinted at this before. I am not expecting any sort of earth shaking announcement, because when I do let myself get involved expectantly, what comes out is usually disappointing. So I would recommend that we all just “not” hold our breath. It will probably be something simple like, “finally finding the cups for the flying saucers”.
Beaudellaire Gavot

December 6, 2010 at 3:41 pm
(4) Sam B says:

I have yet to see one of these “significant revelations” that amounts to anything really noteworty in terms of ET life. Even the Allen Hills “fossilized Martian microbes” are highly doubtful and have been in dispute ever since their existence was announced.

I have a friend, Colleen Fitzpatrick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colleen_Fitzpatrick_(forensic_genealogist)), who is an acknowledged expert in DNA. I ran the article about the arsenic bacteria by her, but she didn’t get real excited. Her only comment was, “wonder what’s so different about the DNA?” If there were anything of earth-shaking significance associated with that discovery, I’m sure Colleen would have some input on it.

December 6, 2010 at 5:49 pm
(5) Ann says:

Oh, the conference will undoubtedly reveal that astrobiologists have discovered an extraterrestrial threat to our existence as a species on earth. It’ll probably be an ET, an asteroid, or an ET riding an asteroid. And, it will be revealed that the U.S. military has, in fact, been working toward reducing the possible threat in its ongoing, several-decades-old project, which we all know about, concerning the militarization and weaponization of space (at our expense, of course). For sure, the implications will be that we should be so very grateful and continue to be so very generous. No, bigee we’ve figured this advert was coming, particularly during a major economic recession, when the unemployment rates are nearly equal to the rates during the Great Depression of the 1930s.

December 6, 2010 at 9:00 pm
(6) Relento Weih says:

Don’t espect big NASA Santa to leave you big present. Lucky for us if NASA Santa give us sumthin in ours stockinks wich wurth while extraterestile information. Maybe he gonna say Rudolf is UFO and light we see is him’s nose at nite.
Relento