1. News & Issues

Billy Booth

Lights in the Sky

By October 17, 2013

My latest article deals with a problem with today's UFO reports. The problem has gotten worse and worse the last ten years or so. The problem I'm talking about is "lights in the sky," which make up the vast majority of reports today.

A lot of this situation comes from the ever-increasing use of Chinese Lanterns, which now come in all shapes, sizes and colors. They draw attention to themselves and cause eyes to be drawn to the sky. These little devils are often mistaken as being UFOs.

They are photographed and videotaped as UFOs by many who are not aware of their existence. See more on this and a typical "lights in the sky" report at Lights in the Sky, and be sure to add your comments.

Comments

October 17, 2013 at 2:52 pm
(1) shirley says:

A stationary white light can appear suddenly as a perfectly round sphere to disappear instantly within seconds. Seen rooftop level and surreal to the experiencer.

October 17, 2013 at 9:27 pm
(2) Dave says:

Hello Billy :)

In today’s society where just about everyone is equipped with a camera phone, footage of Chinese Lanterns masquerading as UFO’s pepper the popular video sites such as YouTube and Vimeo. Likewise, and with experience, it is fairly easy to determine which written reports are likely to be sightings of lanterns rather than odd, illuminated aerial phenomena. Other common suspects are brightly lit quadcopters.

These radio controlled machines have become ever more sophisticated in recent times and with the right modules onboard and access to freely available mapping utilities such as Google maps, it is possible to pre-program a route into one of these machine. Once programmed the vehicle can fly the route without the need of an RC radio to control it. Using waypoints the machine can even be programmed to perform certain maneuvers at particular locations en-route. If the owner should choose to equip the machine with an array of coloured LED lamps and set the machine off on a night flight then it is not only likely, but absolutely inevitable that this flight will generate a host of UFO reports.

It can be somewhat demoralizing at times to have to trawl through countless reports and videos which are clearly Chinese Lanterns or Quadcopter sightings. However it is absolutely necessary to sort through the chaff if one wishes to reveal wheat…

October 19, 2013 at 9:42 pm
(3) littlelady says:

UFO”s are real

October 22, 2013 at 9:21 am
(4) cherokee says:

my husband and I drove an 18 wheeler across this beautiful country for 15 yrs. together and we had numerous sightings in almost every state. They didn’t look like Chinese lanterns. What we saw were different shaped crafts at different times and could stop and take off into different directions at a drop of a dime. They’re out there. We never actually saw a being but we did see the crafts and had very strange things happen sometimes. All the times we did see the things I never even thought to get pictures and I was probably afraid to start clicking wondering if they would beam me up and do mean things to me. I know what I saw, and I know they are out there and probably live among us and we can’t tell them from humans, Why not, we let everything and everyone else into our great country now.

October 22, 2013 at 12:42 pm
(5) Relento Weigh says:

Very good article Billy and much needed to this site and other UFO sites too, because I fed up to read about UFO which always only about lights in sky. Now I no read any article as soon as mention Light In The Sky. Lights in sky mean zero. Plenaty all kinds light in nowaday show in nighttime sky. You should no printe about witness who see lights and believe important UFO sighting. Light are zero and zero interest for me and my friends. Too many years only see news about lights and no news ever about real UFO. That reason why you no see many comment from me anymore. Not interest in only lights.
Sorry to say this Billy but this how I feel about this.

October 29, 2013 at 1:16 pm
(6) Sam B says:

I echo what Relento and others have said – lights in the sky mean nothing these days. I have seen many, many videos of supposed UFO’s that were easily discernable, at least to me, as aircraft, planets, satellites, balloons, or even snow geese flying at high altitude and reflecting city lights off their white undersides.

Probably the vast majority of reports and videos of lights are made by well-intentioned but mistaken observers. But there are plenty of outright fakes, hoaxes and practical jokes perpetrated by people who are just looking to cause a stir and make a mockery of UFO investigation. And the number of these seems to be increasing as more and more people get camera-phones, camcorders, and video editing software for their computers.

It is getting very difficult to tell a faked video or photo from an authentic one, and this makes the problem of researching UFO’s that more complex. All we can do is try to be as discerning as possible as we wade through the garbage thrown in our way by malicious hoaxters.

April 18, 2014 at 2:32 pm
(7) bibbidi bobbidi boutique dresses price says:

Hi it’s me, I am also visiting this website regularly, this web
page is actually nice and the viewers arre genuinely sharing
pleasant thoughts.

my weblog – <a href=”http://maynardifjyyi.pen.io/”>bibbidi bobbidi boutique dresses price</a>

April 29, 2014 at 12:06 am
(8) Miami Facelift Surgery says:

I do believe all the concepts you have offered in your post.
They’re really convincing and can certainly work.
Nonetheless, the posts are too brief for novices. Mayy just you please lengthen them a bit ffom
subsequent time? Thank you for the post.

Feel free to surf to mmy weblog; <a href=”http://nathanielbrickhou.wordpress.com/2014/02/19/emergency-treatment-when-you-journey-ucsf-surgeon-s-story/”>Miami Facelift Surgery</a>