1. News & Issues
Send to a Friend via Email
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Discuss in my forum

1991-Russian Crash & Retrieval


Russia Crash

Russia Crash

B J Booth


We are graced with an excellent report of a crashed saucer from the former Soviet Socialists Republic. Ufologists Nikolay Subbotin and Emil Backurin's labors bring us this compelling account of a crash in the "Shaitan Mazar," Russian for "Grave of the Devil." The Shaitan Mazar is located in the Tien Shan Mountains of Kyrgyzstan near the border of China. This event is well documented, with drawings, photos, and eyewitness testimony.

Giant UFO Invades Russian Airspace:

The incident of Shaitan Mazar began on August 28, 1991, at shortly before 5:00 P.M. An extremely large object approximately 600 meters long, and 110 meters in diameter appeared over the Caspian Sea, showing on radar screens of the tracking station on the Mangyshlak peninsula. Radar computations showed the object moving at the speed of 6,300 miles per hour, at an altitude of 21,000 feet.

Military Response:

The alert of the UFO put the military into action immediately. Two MIG 29 fighters were diverted from a routine mission, and two others were scrambled from the peninsula. The pilots were ordered to attempt to force the craft to land, and if those orders were refused, to shoot it down! Military flight commanders gave interception coordinates to the planes.

Giant Object Spotted:

They would meet with the unknown object over the Aral Sea. Speeding to the position, the MIGs had the object on their radar screens. When they reached visual range, they were shocked to see a gigantic, elongated, metallic gray object. The flight leader requested the "friend of foe" response, and gave orders for the unknown craft to fall in behind the lead MIG, and follow it to a landing. There was no response from the craft.

An Order to Fire Weapons:

High ranking officers decided to fire warning shots across its flight path, forcing it to follow the MIGs to a safe landing. "Close in from either side." " Fly parallel to the target and fire warning shots in its path" was the exact order given to the MIG leader. The planes immediately responded by closing from 800 to 500 meters. They were ready to fire their weapons.

Controls Disabled:

As the pilots squeezed their triggers there was no response from their controls! None of the electrical system worked. The cockpit controls were dead, and then the engines began to sputter. The object began to pull away from the MIGs. The planes were now nonoperational. Their condition was radioed to headquarters, and they were ordered to nurse their planes back to base, and abandon the hunt for the intruding UFO. Radar on the ground continued to track the object.

Object Disappears From Radar:

Approximately 45 minutes after the sudden appearance of the UFO, it simply vanished from radar screens. Though shaken from the stirring events of the last three-quarters of an hour, there was a sense of relief among military personnel that whatever or whoever had invaded their airspace and crippled their jets, had left them. This was the end of the giant UFO, or was it?

Rumors of a Crash:

Soon rumors began to spread about a large object which had crashed into the mountains of Shaitan Mazar. Residents of the villages around Karakol were witnesses to an object of immense size that had met its fate deep in the mountains to their east, in a rocky gorge called "The Grave of the Devil." These stories became so prevalent, that an expedition was formed to make a dangerous trek up into the deep mountain forests to find this strange craft.

Expedition Begins:

An expedition traveled for two weeks through the mountains. Rumors also began to spread by messengers to the group that several of the locals had actually found the crash site, but were burned, and their watches malfunctioned. This put an evil stigma on the crash site to the locals, but it was just the kind of news that would urge the group on to find the now forbidden site.

Expeditions Find Craft:

It was discovered that the Russian Air Force had found the crash site in November 1991! While attempting to hoist part of the object from a snow-covered bank, the helicopter had crashed, killing all aboard. Russian winter was at hand, and the Air Force stated that no further attempts of retrieving the craft were planned until spring. This could be it! This new information was the catalyst needed to put new life and determination into the UFO research group. They would plan another land trip, but they must beat the government to the site, or the findings would forever be hidden from public knowledge.

The Second Expedition found the crash site. "There it was, a craft from another world." Also, the craft was still emitting an energy field of some type. Expedition member Emil Bachurin would state, "You could feel it all around." The crew was still some 1,500 meters from the craft, but its unbelievable size was clearly discernible even from that distance. As the group approached to within 1,000 meters of the craft, they were overcome with an intense feeling of dread, and anxiety. As they continued to approach the craft, these feelings created an overwhelming fatigue.

The gigantic UFO of 1991 was not an illusion. It had been confirmed by radar, and seen by four pilots, who described it in detail. The second expedition had found the craft, and drawn sketches and diagrams of it. They had meticulously duplicated the alien markings on its tail. For a few fleeting moments, the hope of the entire UFO community had been achieved.

  1. About.com
  2. News & Issues
  3. UFOs / Aliens

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.