1. News & Issues
Send to a Friend via Email
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Discuss in my forum

A Decade in Review - Memorable UFO Events, 2000-2009

UFOs - A Decade in Review


Still Frame - Mexican Video

Still Frame - Mexican Video

Mexican Air Force

2004- Mexican Military Footage

On March 5, 2004, a Mexican Air Force Merlin C26A bi-motor airplane was performing routine duties to detect drug smuggling airplanes in a anti-narcotics operation. The plane had a high-tech FLIR STAR ZAPPHIR II and a RADAR AN/PS 143 BRAVO VICTOR 3, which implements infrared video.

Mayor Magdaleno Jasso Núñez was the commander of the plane, Lt. Mario Adrian Vasquez was FLIR operator, and Lt. German Ramirez was radar operator - all three were members of the 501 Aerial Squadron.

At 17:00 hours, the Merlin detected unknown traffic at 10,500 feet over Ciudad del Carmen. The plane then flew closer to the unknown target to record it with their equipment. They reported their unknown target to base.

The objects soon disappeared, only to reappear, this time following the Merlin. Soon, the film would be released world-wide, and a full scale investigation followed.

Proponents of the recording praised the footage as absolute proof of the existence of extraterrestrial intelligence. However, debunkers claimed that the multiple lights filmed by the infrared camera were only reflections of ground fires. See more details of this historic case at Mexican Military Films UFOs.

This case is unique in that it was a perfect example of the sharing of information. The Mexican Air Force, government, and private UFO investigators jelled to investigate the events over Mexico in March, 2004.

2005 - Fighter Jet Chases Triangle UFO over Oklahoma

A witness who described himself as a competent, educated scientist of sound mind and character, made an extraordinary claim of an event he witnessed on May 30, 2005. In the city of Noble, Oklahoma, the witness was taking a nightly walk when he observed a triangular UFO moving across the sky from north to south.

The sky was clear with several miles of visibility as the craft moved at about 500 mph, making not a sound. The UFO was not alone, as the witness saw a plane several miles behind the object, evidently in full pursuit. The plane was traveling at an estimated speed of 600-700 mph.

Both objects were traveling toward the witness, and as they came closer, he could hear the jet's engines. He could clearly see that the UFO was toying with the plane - as the plane got closer to the UFO, the object would speed up and distance itself from the jet. The UFO also made maneuvers that the plane was not capable of.

Soon, the UFO sped away from the jet completely. The jet turned to the north-northeast and flew out of sight. The witness made the observation that the three lights on the triangle were not an equal distance from each other. The lights of the object were a milky white, while the jet's lights were a bright red, green, and white.

The National UFO Reporting Center investigated the sighting, and the only object they found that could have accounted for the UFO would be an F-22 "Raptor" from Tinker Air Force Base, but it bears the traditional navigational lights, and can therefore be ruled out.

2006 - The O'Hare Airport UFO

The reports of a UFO over Chicago's O'Hare Airport in 2006, dominated UFO news for quite some time.

The first report from O'Hare was made by an employee, who reported to the National UFO Reporting Center that he, along with some fellow workers, saw an unknown object hovering over the airport for about seven minutes on November 7, 2006.

A bizarre element of the event was that the object shot up and away, creating a strange hole in the sky. After this report, the sighting received little, if any, press until January of 2007.

Chicago Tribune writer Jon Hilkevitch, with information gleaned from the NUFORC, wrote an article about the case in January, 2007. The case would now be the subject of not only Internet discussion, but mainstream media.

Several employees of the airport had come forward with their eyewitness testimony, but United Airlines spokespersons denied the incident. This did not sit well with the eyewitnesses, or UFO buffs.

Finally, the Federal Aviation Administration admitted that a control tower employee had received a UFO report from an employee, who requested information about an "elliptical-saucer-shaped craft" hovering over Concourse C. This report was considered comical by tower employees.

The sighting was originally written off as a "weather phenomena." More details of the sighting soon emerged - the object was dark gray in color, disc-shaped, and clearly seen in the clouds above O'Hare.

The object was estimated at 24 feet in diameter. One eyewitness made the following statement.

"I tend to be scientific by nature, and I don't understand why aliens would hover over a busy airport," said a United mechanic who was in the cockpit of a Boeing 777 that he was taxiing to a maintenance hangar when he observed the metallic-looking object above Gate C17.

"But I know that what I saw and what a lot of other people saw stood out very clearly, and it definitely was not an [Earth] aircraft," the mechanic said.

Further investigation into the O'Hare case would determine that indeed, something unknown hovered over the busy airport, raising concern over air traffic safety. There were allegedly photographs taken of the UFO, but many fakes were sent around the Net. Not one of the photographs has been deemed authentic.

  1. About.com
  2. News & Issues
  3. UFOs / Aliens
  4. UFO History
  5. A Decade in Review - Memorable UFO Events, 2000-2009

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.